Friday, February 03, 2006

Match made in cyberspace?

NOTE: If you read Heads Turn, this is the exact same post.
Okay, I need a little help here. I finally joined myspace after my friend was driving me nuts over it. I've been on for almost a month now. To date, I have received 12 messages from local guys wanting to get to know me. I have yet to respond to anyone. The whole idea of online dating creeps me out. I mean, you have absolutely no control over who is reading your profile. How do I know they are not some psycho? On the otherhand, some of these guys seem really cool and are quite cute. I have two friends who have met guys from myspace and things are going well. So here is my dilemma: to respond or not respond. I could be missing out on something good and I could be missing out on something bad.

Even if I decide to respond - how does one possibly handle all these inquiries? What do you think? Anyone with experience and/or advice to offer?

**UPDATE**

As a lark, I posted on CL this afternoon. By midnight, I received 31 responses. Some were funny, intriguing, repulsing, and others just blah. It's an eerie feeling to have people respond like it is a job interview or sales pitch for a girl they don't even know. What does internet dating say about our culture as a whole?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have made a couple FRIENDS on this blog thing...some I talk email to now...I wasnt really looking to make friends it just kind of happened. I dont think I would meet or date any ..its hard to tell peoples motives outside of friendship when you have no eye contact. Just talk to people and take it slow. The ones out for a good time would probably lose intrest. I always think if they are talking to you online like that -they are most likely talking to all the girls...know what I mean.
but I do have a male friend who is very seriuos about meeting someone, he just doesnt like to go out.

5:50 AM  
Blogger VerseOne said...

whats up? check my story about internet dating. maybe it'll sway your opinion. but then again your female, so it might not. :)

Peace.

10:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home